Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A "little" hand applique...REALLY little...


When I say little, I mean LITTLE!  These are some more of Lori Smith's little applique blocks from her pattern, "Miss Emilie's Garden."  The whole quilt only measures 42" x 42."  
I just love her applique projects...whether the block size is 6 inches or 12 inches, her shapes are very forgiving and easy to applique no matter what method you choose to use.


I already had these little blocks glue prepped and tucked away for a time when I needed something to grab and go...or a time when I wanted busy hands without having to put a lot of thought into it. Yep, that's where I am (emotionally) in a nut shell.


My daughter finally finished with school/finals on June 18...she is officially a high school senior now...YIKES!.  Then, she and Steve have birthdays in the same week, and we are getting her ready to go to Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp early tomorrow morning.


Cripes, it has been a busy two weeks!  I also made a trip to Shipshewana, IN to drop off my "Baltimore Rhapsody - Symphony" quilt for the big quilt show that opens tomorrow (Wednesday) and runs through Saturday.  I am getting an appraisal done at the show and was a little nervous about shipping the quilt before having THAT done.



I will drop Riley at camp north of Muskegon then drive south to Shipshewana to take in the quilt show (doors open Wednesday at noon).


Once I drown myself in wonderful quilts, quilters, fabric, lots of photography, and a good Amish chicken dinner, I will head the car south for a week at my parents' house.  There are things to do and my siblings and I have another family meeting.  It's still hard to imagine my parents not being there to greet me, wanting to hear all about the show, and how my music quilt did.


Then I will drive home to Michigan, pick up Steve and head to Blue Lake for Riley's final concerts in the beautiful, great outdoors of west Michigan.  Here is the orchestral concert shell during the orchestra warm up last year...it is difficult and disruptive to get up and take pictures once the audience is seated and they are playing...



The French horns are in the middle in the back, which is bad for Mom finding her in the photo, but good for the sound of the horns to be bounced off the back wall and be heard by the audience (she's in the middle, in the back, hiding behind the bassoons, smiling at her Mama...).


Blue Lake is such a great fine arts camp...this is Riley's 5th or 6th summer of going.  I'm sure we will all be tearing up as we listen to the beautiful music and soak in all the surroundings.  In addition to playing French horn in both orchestras last year, Riley played with the brass ensemble and had a separate little performance of that music (she's the 3rd from the left on the front row...).


My parents drove up from Alabama in their little RV for her final concerts last year and then we spent the rest of the week seeing the sites on the west coast of Michigan...priceless memories...it sure meant a lot to Riley to have her Grandparents there to experience the camp and enjoy the concerts.



It meant a lot to me, too.  They will be there with us in spirit this year...

In stitches,
Teresa  :o)

18 comments:

  1. excellent work - memories are healing - and I bet you have plenty of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do such lovely work. Enjoy those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely post. I continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the appliqué blocks---love her patterns too. I met her at her booth in Des Moines quilt show---she is down to earth!! Talked to me for quite awhile & told me about how she started out in pattern design business. You are going to be so busy---please take care traveling & have fun at the show!! Good luck with having a senior daughter---that year goes super fast---so many memories she will make. Nice pics of your parents enjoying their family---good to have for future times. It does get better as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little blocks look so great. I just love quilts like that. I have more on my list that I want to do than I will probably be able to stitch up before I'm 80, but hey! It's all good! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have that same pattern in my pattern stash. I like it very much. Of those blocks you show today, the lyre is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love your applique blocks!! My favorite fabrics too :0) I hope you have safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. can't believe she will be a senior, wow! keep appliquéing I love seeing your work, I love this pattern. Safe trip home and happy memories in your thoughts.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing tiny blocks. Lovely memories are bitter sweet, but mostly sweet -

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that pattern and I own it, you have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Teresa, once the music starts playing, they'll be right there with you. You have so many wonderful memories.
    Those blocks are adorable! So small, but you nailed them. I've seen Lori's patterns, but for the life of me can't remember if I bought any.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely blocks. I want to go to Shipshewana and see the quilts. I need an outing. How fun to go to Orchestra camp, and it looks like it is a wonderful experience. I am sure they will be there listening in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Teresa! I was at the Shipshewana quilt show yesterday. (First time.) I guess I should not have been surprised to see Baltimore Rhapsody hanging on the wall. I exclaimed out loud, "It's her quilt!"

    A couple of the ladies turned around. "You know this quilter?" Yes, I do. I taught her my glue stick + freezer paper applique technique, and she taught me about using Roxanne Glue Baste-it instead of pins to baste down the appliques. I gave them your blog URL, and told them that you are selling the patterns online.

    Nice to see your stuff up on the walls, and getting noticed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful post! It's so nice your folks made it to the concert last year. You and your daughter will always cherish that memory. I'm sure they'll have special front row seating this year, the "best in the house." I hope your quilt wins Best of Show. Wish I could be there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You do such beautiful applique work - I wish you could give me a lesson! Sounds like you will be quite busy for the next few weeks - hope it all goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a busy time for you and yours. I just love Lori Smith’s patterns and your block are just perfect as always.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A reminder that I should dig out my Lori Smith pattern. Clear photos of your neatly stitched blocks. Were they placed on a sand board? Missed seeing you at Shipshe, but fortunately, I saw Baltimore Rhapsody nicely displayed. Your dear parents will be with you lots in spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!